August 10, 2008

CHAI - LIFE AT UOW

My name is Chanchai CHAISUKKOSOL, or just calls me Chai. I'm from Bangkok, Thailand. I graduated Bachelor and Master Degree in Computer Engineering, both with thesis about quadruped and biped robot’s artificial intelligent programming. Then, I shift my focus to some social things and intend to broaden Thai people and academic community to concern more on social dimension of science and technology, in which western academic world called “Science and Technology Studies (STS)”. After finishing master degree, I have been a research assistant in sociology for four years. Another one of my major research interests is Violence and Peace Studies as it’s the most crucial point, in my view, of social issues. And therefore, now I’m doing PhD in Political Science, also in Bangkok, with dissertation topic that link together both of my interested on “internet technology and nonviolent political struggle in Thailand”.

Jin & Me at the field research in Thailand.

As I try to link between technology studies and nonviolence studies, but most of the academic work that close to me are about technology and violence. I found only one academic work, written by Brian Martin entitled “Technology for Nonviolent Struggle” which is very relevant to my interest. My dissertation topic mentioned above is also imitated from his. That’s a first step that I know UOW. Then, luckily, I got scholarship for my PhD study that encourages the grantee to have academic experience in abroad for three to six months. Then I chose UOW to carry further on my PhD research with Brian Martin. That’s why I come here at UOW. But it’s just one and a half month after I got married with Jin, my wife. So, alone in the cold weather here, I miss her a lot.

My everyday walking path to UOW

I found that UOW campus is very nice place for me. I also stay in Kooloobong at Mt. Keira foothill, which make me more appreciated. When I look out of my window or come out of my accommodation walking to my office, there’s a lot of green tree, clean & fresh (but cool) air, clear & blue sky and cloud. I feel like living in the park all day!!

My new bike at Wollongong North Beach

My mandate here is to write an English article to publish in international journal as my scholarship request. Other is to learn Australian academic environment by having a look at library, talking to lecturers and students here, and attending to some classes. That’s why I got to DIGC101 class. Other additional thing is to know more about Australian people and Australia (esp. its natural environment: coast, rock, desert, snow etc. as I have done some mini-cycling to Wollongong North Beach three weeks after arriving here.

No comments: