August 19, 2008

JAEGER - LIFE AT UOW

Hi my name is Jaeger Richmond I am currently studying at Wollongong University started in 2008 and expecting to leave in 2011. Born in Cronulla, I have always wanted to have a career in business, in some sort of creative role such as advertising. I started my tertiary study at Sydney University and have tried two degrees before my current degree. My first degree was a Bachelor of Arts, which I found too broad and did not wish to complete. My second degree was a bachelor of Agricultural Economics; this degree had subjects that I enjoyed and a lot that I didn’t and I found the good was outweighed by the bad, hence my discontinuation of the degree. After trying the first two degrees I though I better think long and hard before commencing another degree.

After looking into many options I found myself at Wollongong University starting a double degree of Media Communications and Commerce. I was drawn to this degree as it offered a number of different paths including a marketing advertising major that could be complimented with a digital communication major. Looking around at the current market and seeing the evolution of advertising and the way in which it was being conducted within the digital realms I decided this was the degree and university for me.

The experience at Wollongong University has been great, quite different to the experience I had at Sydney University. I have found that the subjects are balanced in the theory and practical which enables a skill set to be developed for future employment opportunities. Whilst at Sydney I found the teaching methodology quite laborious in an overflow of theory and not much practical knowledge.

The best parts of Wollongong Uni life definitely revolve around the bar, Thursday beers at lunch are a great catch up time with friends, lifts home after beers are even better. With the good there must be some bad, such as missed trains or 7:30pm trains that get me home for 9:30 and full carparks. The ugly can only be one thing the loss of a loved one from the uni bar, the infamous local Five Islands Brewery hero, Long Board beer.

I hope to further develop my knowledge and a increase my range of skills. I also hope to broaden my network for further business opportunities. Although these desires are all a part of my main objective, to increase my probability of acquiring wealth through education.

No comments: